Department of Economics is one of the first two teaching and research departments that was established in the same year of the establishment of the University. Form beginning the Department attracted good number of students and the main source of attraction was the leadership provided by Dr. V. V. Borkar, the first Head of the Department of Economics. He not only encouraged research activity but himself undertook certain research projects mainly relating to problems of regional development of Marathwada.
The department of Economics was identified by the UGC for implementing two consecutive phases of the University Leadership Programme during 1982 to 1988. The UGC had sanctioned Special Assistance Programme to the Department of Economics in 1987 for five years in the first instance and in 1992 for second instance. The UGC further sanctioned Special Assistance Programme to the Department of Economics since 2006-2007 in the first phase and second phase was sanctioned for the period 2013-2018.
The department of Economics took the lead to seek the award of Centre with Potential for Excellence status from the UGC in collaboration with the departments of political science and sociology.
The award of status of centre with potential for excellence to our University is the result of the Special Assistance Programme activities carried out in the department of Economics. It is also the result of the contribution that the Departments of Economics, Political Science and Sociology have made to the research related to rural development till today.
The main objective of UGC's centre with potential for excellence scheme is to encourage and facilitate the chosen departments to collaborate in interdisciplinary research work.
About the Centre with Potential for Excellence in Particular Area (CPEPA):
“Rural Development in Backward Districts of Marathwada”
The University Grants Commission has approved status of Centre with Potential for Excellence in Particular Area (CPEPA) to Dr. Babasasheb Ambedkar Marathwada University. The main objective of the UGC’s CPEPA scheme is to encourage and facilitate the chosen departments at the selected university to work together in a particular area by associating their faculty members to cooperate and collaborate in their programmes and activities on regular basis, cutting across departmental and discipline barriers. The university grants commission has sanctioned Rs. 2.50 crore for five years (2016-21) to establish the centre in “Rural Development in Backward Districts of Marathwada” at university campus.
- Beneficiary of University Leadership Programme (1982-87) andSpecial Assistance Programme (1987-97 and 2007-12) of UGC
- Annex building under SAP
- Planning Forum – An independent platform for students
- Computer laboratory with internet facility
- Departmental library
- Four Study / Research Centers
- Experienced & specialized teaching staff
- Administrative support to University by faculty
- Organization of seminar/conference every year
- Representation of faculty members in almost all committees and Authorities of University
- Contributed for economic development of Marathwada region
The department of Economics was identified by the UGC for implementing two consecutive phases of the University Leadership Programme during 1982 to 1988
UGC had granted the Department Special Assistance Programme (SAP) in 1987 for five years in the first instance and in 1992 for second instance
UGC has further sanctioned an amount of Rs. 24 Lacs under SAP to this Department for the period 2007-2012
UGC has further sanctioned an amount of Rs. 60 Lacs under SAP to this Department for the period 2012-2017
UGC has Granted Centre with Potential for Excellence in Particular Area (CPEPA) sanctioned an amount of Rs. 2.50 crore: to this Department for the period 2016-2021.
Social awareness and extracurricular activities for students
Department organizes following activities:
- Blood donation camp
- Library orientation of M Astudents
- NSS, sports activities
- Essay writing & Debate competitions
- Involvement in group discussions & seminars
- Presentation by students on Union and State budgets every year
- Students edit a wall-mount journal on current economic issues every year
- Educational tour and visit to various research organizations and educational institutions in the country every year