Department of English
Our unique degree and course provide students with high quality education that emphasizes the following:
1. A Firm Foundation in Literature: Our core English courses provide a solid background in literary traditions, history and research.
2. Multiculturalism: Our degree is specifically oriented to multicultural literature and diverse approaches to the study of literature. Course offerings, Faculty and Resources focus on bringing the world and its literature into the classroom.
3. In addition, our faculty is committed to an interdisciplinary approach to knowledge, evident in their involvement in programs such as Copy Writing, World Literature, Single Author Study and Environmental Studies. Our graduates are well prepared for professional and for lifelong learning. They pursue careers in education, research, business, law, government, and publishing. The Department's policies and its reading- and writing-intensive curriculum demonstrate our commitment to the liberal arts.
- To provide appropriate pedagogies- such as class size and environments (classrooms, equipment, resources, and technology) that will lead student retention and success.
- To help students see themselves as professionals, as part of a discipline with skills and abilities valuable in the business, teaching, publishing, or post-graduate work.
- To give students a sense of themselves as citizens of a larger community by encouraging participation in service learning and in diverse and national course work and programming.
- To balance the needs of general education - communication, diversity, global perspectives, interdisciplinary studies
- To enable students to become informed citizens and active members of society.
- To provide major programs in English to convene the needs of the students of English.
B.A (Hon) English (First Year) (Second Year) (Third Year)