About the Center
The Scheme of epoch making social thinkers in India as envisaged by the 11th and 12th plan of UGC to undertaken by the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar University, Aurangabad shall be known as Vasantrao Naik Vimukt Jati/Bhatkya Jamati Humanities Development Research and Training Center.Maharashtra is land of Saint and great personalities having history of revolution by them in words and deeds. In this State, every person is having vision of keenly observing things around him. And the same is deeply rooted in the deeds of the senior leader of Maharashtra whose name was Vasantrao Naik. When we talk about Maharashtra we always remember Chief Ministers like Yashwantrao Chavan, Manohar Joshi and otherwise. Vasantrao Naik’s name stands no-where less in this list.
Initiatives taken by him like Panchyat Raj, Rozgar Hami Yojana, Cotton Monopoly Scheme, Marketing Committee, Land Tenancy Reforms, Cultivators Land Scheme, irrigation projects, soil conservation inclusive of Green revolution. On seeing the aggression of VasantraoNaik for development towards Maharashtra as political, social, education, agricultural economics. He was elected thrice for enjoying longest term as Chief Minister of Maharashtra till date. Most of the years in his tenure were challenging for establishing socialism for all.
About Vasantrao Naik :-
Vasantrao Naik was an Indian politician who served a Chief Minister of Maharashtra from 1963 until 1975. He was born in Gahuli, Pusad on 1st July 1913 in Banjara Community which was recognized as criminal tribe according to Criminal Tribes Act, 1871. The Act was in existence till 1952 by virtue of which this community was prohibited from being part and parcel of common living hood. Still the tribe is facing many difficulties in general sense which has to be properly investigated. The populatioIn Maharashtra the projected population is nearby two crores of which Banjara Community is 96 Lakh. For studying such attitude of Governance it is necessary to undergo in-depth research and present position.
He was eminent law practitioner in initial days of his lifetime and was having command over grassroots politics which recognized him as a responsible legislator. He participated in political field from 1951 to 52. He was having varying skills of political make-how which was followed by many leaders.
In the beginning of his political career:- He was elected as Member of Legislative Assembly and then followed by Minister of Cabinet. It was the beginning of backward class regime wherein a person from rural background was working as Chief Minister. He was a Member of Legislative Assembly of Madhya Pradesh during 1952 – 1957, the then bilingual Bombay State during 1957 – 1960 and of Maharashtra during 1960 to 1977. In 1952 he was appointed Deputy Minister for Revenue in the Government of Madhya Pradesh. He has worked in the capacity of Minister for Cooperation in 1957 and later Minister for Agriculture in the government of Bombay State. He was the father the Green Revolution in Maharashtra. From 1960 t0 1963 he was Minister for Revenue in Government of Maharashtra. He was a staunch supporter of Yashwantrao Chavan
His work style:- In this ministerial life he developed Maharashtra in every field. He used to say Maharashtra is my State. In his work style he never made differences of caste and creed. He was having strong opposition of untouchability and had gone for inter-caste marriage in his personal life.
He was a person of simple living and high thinking. He thought about farmers and their hardship life. The farmer is an owner of agriculture but he can’t decide the price of his goods. No one can give him good price. Something should be done in this regard for progress of downtrodden was his belief. He decided to establish co-operative society especially in Vidarbha region. He promoted societies for running co-operative sugar factories, cotton mills, dairies, etc. Sugar factories like Pophali Industry setup and Babasaheb Naik cotton mill at Pusad.
He wandered underdeveloped areas in Maharashtra to collect people and gathered helping hands. He supported researchers for developing new varieties of Jowar, Sugarcane and likewise in Maharashtra. He sanctioned many dams which have setup successful examples for irrigation. He introduced many laws and reforms in various sectors for overall development of Maharashtra. His slogan was “Kasel Tyachi Jamin”, Panchayat Raj, GramSmruddhi so he brought the statute for transaction in selling of land. He started rural workers guarantee scheme. Cotton is a white gold of Vidarbha so the Government of Maharashtra decided to purchase the cotton of the farmers directly with levy prices. Outcome of co-operative system in various establishments had shown increase in profit records at individual and collective level.
Their views on:- He was follower of Mahatma Gandhi and worked with Vinobha Bhave for Bhoodan movement so as to give land to the landless people. He introduced State Transport Corporation in Maharashtra for suitable traveling for weaker as well as deprived sections of society. He knew the situation of water availability in rural areas and so brought various drinking water schemes for water prone villages. Efficient working of Indira Gandhi Awaas Yojana in Maharashtra was a landmark stone as reported at various instances wherein shelter for houseless people was provided. Exemplary schemes brought in by this eminent personality were followed in various States as well in the Centre also. Looking into his positive approaches towards development there is necessity of field work to be carried out inclusive of doctrinal research as officially no work is available in his name till now.
Taking into regard his wisdom towards agriculture recently Marathwada University, Parbhani has announced to carry the name of great thinker. If measures suggested by this eminent personality would have been followed there would not have been farmer suicides and deprival of putting inputs by businessmen in this area. Taking into regard above scenario many such intellectual inputs have to be investigated which will in future bring in fruitful results for generation. More focus has to be laid on Cotton Monopoly Scheme, Poverty elimination, industrial requirements, co-operative movement and overall rural development (Panchsutri).
HONOURABLE VASANTRAOJI NAIK AT A GLANCE
- On 1st July 1913, born in a Farmer Family of Banjara tribe in Gahuli in Pusad Taluka of Yavatmal district. In 1933. passed matriculation form Neelcity High School Nagpur.
- In 1937,passed B.A. Form Morris College. (Presently Vasantrao Naik Social Institution Nagpur.)
- In 1940, passed LLB form Law College,Nagpur.
- In 1941, Gahuli, his native place became an ideal village through his untiring efforts and enthusiasm.
- On July 06th 1941, married with Vatsalatai Ghate, from a prestigious Brahmin Family. Since the marriage is an inter-cast,it created aupheaval in the society and they were banned from the society for some period.
- In 1946, elected as the President of muncipal corporation of Pusad.
- In 1950,worked as the president of “Pusad Free Lodging for Harijans” and “Digras National free Students’ hostel.”
- In 1951, became the member of the Vidarbha Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Elected as the Deputy Secretary for the revenue department in Madhya Pradesh Cabinet from the first general elections of
- In year 1956, after the state re-organization, he was appointed as the minister for co-operation, agriculture and dairy
departments in the old Mumbai State.
- In 1958, became the member of Indian Delegation of International Rice Commission and visited Japan.
- In 1959,started Fulsingh Naik College at Pusad and visited China on the invitation of Farmers’ Association of China.
- In 1960,after state formation of Maharashtra, he was appointed as the Revenue Minister in the first ministry.
- In 1962, elected for the third time from Pusad Constituency and took charge as the Revenue Ministry.
- On 5th December 1963, became the Chief Minister of Maharashtra for the first time.
- In 1965, completed the tour of 25 districts of Maharashtra for preaching new technology of hybridization for increase in agricultural production.
- In 1966, completed the tour of drought affected districts of the State to encourage distressed farmers.
- In1967, elected for the fourth time in assembly.
- On 06 March 1967. elected as Chief Minister for Second Time.
- In 1970.oninvitation of the Govt of America,visited America and European Countries.
- In 1972, elected as Member of Assembly for 5th time
- On 14 March 1972, became Chief Minister for third time.
- On 20th February 1975,resigned from Chief Minister’s designati on after chairing the office for 11consecutiveYears.
- On 12th March 1977 elected as a member of the Washim Loksabha Constituency.
- Vasntrao Naik Saheb, popular leader, excellent Parliamentarian,farmers’ caretaker,pioneer of the green, industrial revolution of Maharashtra, died on 18th August 1979 at the age of 66.
On the eve of 100 years celebrations of Yashwantrao Chavan and Vasantrao Naik, Dr. Babasheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad has established Vasantrao Naik Research Centre and for efficient running of the same maximum possible grants be sanctioned.